Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Is it Tuesday? I'm losing track of the days.

Most of my regular crowd stayed in Baton Rouge for the summer, with the exceptions of Courtney and Aaron, so I've been finding myself spending more and more time these days with a group of people that lived on the first floor of my dorm last year. Most of them are friends of NickH; they're the same people who brought me to Grand Isle to cool off from finals week.

So anyway, every Tuesday night we go out to TJs for 25-cent night. I won't be going along tonight because I am practically broke, but that is an entirely different story altogether. Last Tuesday, though, Travis invited his friend Jared to meet us there. I'd met him a few times before, and I am not exaggerating at all when I tell you that he belongs on a magazine cover next to Colin Farrell. So Travis and Brandon has been encouraging me to try and make something happen between Jared and myself, and I certainly wasn't going to argue with that.

At first everyone was pretty impressed with the way I was handling things. After I'd had a few beers I was making all kinds of conceited remarks to Travis about how quickly I could get Jared to ask for my number, because to be completely honest I sort of pride myself on my ability to get a guy's attention. Keeping them around for something long-term is an entirely different story (read: Aaron), but I have a sparkling track record when it comes to picking up on guys I've just met. I am a sick, sick girl for being so into this fact, I know.

But anyway, have you ever seen the episode of Sex and the City where Carrie gets mugged? A guy steals her purse and her Manolo Blahniks ("Somebody stop him, he stole my strappy sandals!"), and the cop that shows up to help her out turns out to be all kinds of gorgeous, and subsequently asks Miranda out. I am going somewhere with this, I promise. So they go to dinner and she's having a good time until she realizes that every girl in the restaurant is gawking at her beautiful date, and she starts ordering martinis in an attempt to boost her self-esteem. But the more she thinks about how out of her league he is, them ore she drinks, and pretty soon he's sneaking out in the middle of the night and leaving the number for Alcoholics Anonymous on her bedside table.

I totally did that Tuesday night. Allow me to elaborate.

After the drink special ended at TJs, we wanted to keep drinking, but who really wants to transition from paying a quarter for a Bud Light to paying $2.50? Not us. So we hear that there's another special going on at another bar a few blocks away, and we decide to head in that direction. Jared has recognized some girls that he knew, and they were adorable as all hell, so he says taht he'll meet us there in a few minutes. I guess it was at that point that it hit me that I was picking up on the most gorgeous male I have ever seen in person.

We get to Tucks a few minutes later, and it turns out that the drink special there is $6 pitchers of mixed drinks, which amazes us because at this particular bar it's usually upwards of six dollars to buy even one drink. I'm already kind of tipsy after spending about five dollars worth of quarters on beer, so I decide that it would be a fantastic idea to get a pitcher of rum and coke and a straw. Seriously. Alcoholic? Yeah, that's me. By the time Jared showed up, I was completely falling-over drunk.

This apparently was not good for my flirting skills, because Travis has told me that I made a complete fool of myself. Case and point: I was smoking a cigarette with Ashley and Mary, and Jared came over and told me that it was a really disgusting habit, and I pretty much promised him that I would quit just for him. Shit.

As a random side note here: I no longer smoke during the day, and this is really a huge accomplishment for me. During that terrible finals week, I was constantly walking out to the patio to smoke, and now I only smoke as a supplement to alcohol. I figure that's enough quitting for now. Everyone in New Orleans smokes anyway, so I'm inhaling the shit just by walking into a bar. I might as well indulge myself when I go out at night. Honest, that's only about 6 cigarettes a week. So it actually kind of upset me that Jared had to catch me smoking and make the assumption that I'm all kinds of addicted when I'm really not anymore.

I would like to point out that he still asked for my phone number, so I technically proved my point to Travis that I always succeed in that area, even though he didn't call. Ouch. Guys always call me the next day. Always.

Meanwhile, Brittany is begging me to score her some points with Brandon, who she is somehow enamored with all of a sudden. So I'm actually bouncing back and forth between hanging all over Jared in an all-too-obivous drunken stupor and pulling Brandon aside to ramble on about all of Brit's positive qualities. Brandon cracks me up like no one else, and I adore hanging out with him, so it's probably a good thing that he witnessed the majority of my ridiculous drunk behavior that night. Lord only knows how the night would have turned out had I focused all of my attention on Jared.

Saturday night, though, we went back to Tucks for Ladies Night, and I ran into Jared again. I pretty much acted like he didn't exists, mostly because I was all kinds of humiliated, but by the end of the night he was trying to get my attention every few minutes. My favorite part about it was that Travis, who flat out told me to give up all hope after my horrific Tuesday night performance, got to see just how wrong he was.

Then again, he still hasn't called me, damn it.

Speaking of phone calls, though, Aaron has taken it upon himself to call me every night that he goes somewhere to ask me over and over why I'm not there too. "Why aren't you at TJs, Why aren't you at this party in Algiers, Why are you still out when I already went home???" I don't know what I'm going to do about him... I'm trying to pretend I don't care. We all know that I do, but I figure if I lie to myself for long enough, maybe it will eventually be true.

posted by Nicole @ 4:45 PM


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

nicole: 19-year-old LSU sophomore. biochemistry, pre-med. native new orleanian. starbucks barista. borderline alcoholic. addicted to facebook, red bull and vodka, and college football. a little neurotic, extremely indecisive, and often irresponsible.

dailies
aja
carly
betsy
dc pierson
j-mo & ed
siobhan
this fish
tony pierce

archives

November 2003
December 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
February 2005
May 2005

email me
n lamonte at yahoo dot com